Click anywhere to close this dialog

Farewell

Great is the art of beginning, but greater is the art of ending
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I announce that I cease all development and activity in the programming universe indefinitely. My career has reached the turning point I was not expecting for at least another year, leaving me highly off guard and without laid-out plans for this hobby's continuity. I have begun a 5-year residency program in Neurosurgery which is clearly not compatible, time-wise, with programming.

I gave in all my passion for developing, and you gave me back your loyalty and trust, even when I did not deserve that much. Now it is the time for payback. I release all my present and past work as Open Source software, in the hope some talented developer will continue maintaining and expanding my vision of a modern, sleek forum software. The intrinsic flexibility of MyBB is the true hidden gem of an otherwise outdated codebase; I do hope the project can continue and be updated complying to the latest coding standards.

I hereby thank Euan, kawaii, andrewjs18, Ben, Matt, Omar G., effone, Eric J., Devilshakerz, Wildcard, JordanMussi and all the other team members I have had the opportunity to work with when I was a MyBB team member. I thank Tomm M, my mentor, who inspired me to pick up coding with his piece-of-art plugins. And finally, I thank all of you MyBBoost subscribers who have helped me getting through my toughest university years economically.

Yours sincerely, Filippo

Letter Avatars 1.0.2

10 Oct 2018 Edited
Letter Avatars lets you create Google-style default avatars using usernames' initial letters; give your board an elegant touch without being obtrusive or heavy on server's resources. Letter Avatars uses an external server – ui-avatars.com – to provide crisp dynamic images extracting user's username initials.

You have fine-grain control over the hue range, luminosity, font size, shape and letter case of avatars.

Avatars have an average load latency of 2 ms; you will not even notice them loading, and they will not block page rendering.

You decide how many letters you would like to display. 1 resembles Google the most, but 2 is usually the best choice for style and readability.

Whether if you choose dark or light luminosity backgrounds, the text's color will be automatically adjusted to ensure the best contrast possible.

Minimum requirements

MyBB 1.8.0
PHP 7.1

Installation

Upload Letter Avatars to your MyBB installation maintaining its folder structure integrity. Install and activate from the plugins manager.

This project is licensed under

MIT

A simple license with little to no use restrictions, except for author's crediting. Read the provided LICENSE file for more informations.

Permissions

Commercial use
Modification
Distribution
Private use
Limitations

Warranty
Liability
Conditions

License notice
Copyright notice
Filename Size Downloads
7.67 KB 346
MagnumPL 10 Oct 2018
Nice! thanks for share
xienon 10 Oct 2018
You are the best!
Dr.Jeet 10 Oct 2018
Thanks....
Shade 10 Oct 2018

Letter Avatars 1.0.1 released

This update fixes 2 reported issues:
New registered users do not get proper formatted avatars
Usernames with special characters may pose a XSS security threat

To update, simply replace the old files. No upgrade script or other fancy procedures are necessary.
Shade 12 Oct 2018

Letter Avatars 1.0.2 released

This update fixes 1 reported issue:
escape_string() on null in generateAvatar() function prevents the plugin from installing

To update, simply replace the old files. No upgrade script or other fancy procedures are necessary.
codedude 12 Oct 2018 Edited
Thank you for making this plugin Shade, however can you change the logic of this plugin to not be dependable on ui-avatars.com, but instead to use this simple javascript https://codepen.io/arturheinze/pen/ZGvOMw

PS: I don't believe into random "we don't store logs bulls*' base64 code is wayyyy safer and better in terms of what if ui-avatars.com gets down, their server crashes and so forth.
Shade 12 Oct 2018
Yes, an update in the future is planned and I may also add JS support. The initial plan was to generate physical images and store them on your server; I don’t usually like JS for this kind of things as there will always be a delay in displaying avatars, but I may sneak that in as an option.
codedude likes this post
codedude 12 Oct 2018
That would be much appreciated!
Brody 13 Oct 2018
Hi Shade,
Another beautiful product by yourself, thank you for sharing it with the community! That's very kind of you.

I ran into a little confusion with the Hue settings, but seem to have it figured out now well enough. Mainly just wanted red colored backgrounds, so I have it set 0~1 right now. Inputting just '0' gave me random colors. Most definitely a lack of knowledge on my part for certain.

The only other thing that I think would help would maybe be an option for a solid hex color. So admins can set the avatars all to be the same color background.

Thanks for letting me know about this and I look forward to your future plugins as well!